Wednesday, 11 August 2021

Still Under Casablanca Influence

 Visited IMDB to get one quote from the film but found many. Here follow some referring to the classic music performed by Satchmo:

  • Sam : Let's get outta here.

          Rick : No Sam, I'm waiting for a lady.

          Sam : Please boss, let's go. Ain't nothing but trouble for you here.

          Rick : She's coming back. I know she's coming back.

          Sam : We'll take the car. We'll drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone.

          Rick : Shut up and go home, will ya?

          Sam : No sir, I'm staying right here.

  • Ilsa : Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

    Sam : [lying]  I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.

    Ilsa : Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

    Sam : [lying]  Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.

    Ilsa : I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...

    [Sam begins playing] 

    Ilsa : Sing it, Sam.

    Sam : [singing]  You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings-...

    Rick : [rushing up]  Sam, I thought I told you never to play-...

    [Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano and rolls it away] 

     

    Sam : Boss, ain't you going to bed?

    Rick : Not right now.

    Sam : Ain't you planning on going to bed in the near future?

    Rick : No.

    Sam : You ever going to bed?

    Rick : No!

    Sam : Well, I ain't sleepy either.

     

    Rick : Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.

     

    Rick : You know what I want to hear.

    Sam : [lying]  No, I don't.

    Rick : You played it for her, you can play it for me!

    Sam : [lying]  Well, I don't think I can remember...

    Rick : If she can stand it, I can! Play it!

     

     


No comments:

Post a Comment