Wednesday 11 August 2021

Still Under Casablanca Influence

 Visited IMDB to get one quote from the film but found many. Here follow some referring to the classic music performed by Satchmo:

  • Sam Let's get outta here.

          Rick No Sam, I'm waiting for a lady.

          Sam Please boss, let's go. Ain't nothing but trouble for you here.

          Rick She's coming back. I know she's coming back.

          Sam We'll take the car. We'll drive all night. We'll get drunk. We'll go fishing and stay away until she's gone.

          Rick Shut up and go home, will ya?

          Sam No sir, I'm staying right here.

  • Ilsa Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

    Sam [lying]  I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.

    Ilsa Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

    Sam [lying]  Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.

    Ilsa I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...

    [Sam begins playing] 

    Ilsa Sing it, Sam.

    Sam [singing]  You must remember this / A kiss is still a kiss / A sigh is just a sigh / The fundamental things apply / As time goes by. / And when two lovers woo, / They still say, "I love you" / On that you can rely / No matter what the future brings-...

    Rick [rushing up]  Sam, I thought I told you never to play-...

    [Sees Ilsa. Sam closes the piano and rolls it away] 

     

    Sam Boss, ain't you going to bed?

    Rick Not right now.

    Sam Ain't you planning on going to bed in the near future?

    Rick No.

    Sam You ever going to bed?

    Rick No!

    Sam Well, I ain't sleepy either.

     

    Rick Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.

     

    Rick You know what I want to hear.

    Sam [lying]  No, I don't.

    Rick You played it for her, you can play it for me!

    Sam [lying]  Well, I don't think I can remember...

    Rick If she can stand it, I can! Play it!

     

     


No comments:

Post a Comment